- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Grandma's Southern Cabbage Recipe Video
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Seasoning salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly crushed|
|Chicken broth/Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
Calories 157 Calories from Fat 121
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.1%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.1 mg
Sodium 809.7 mg33.7%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.8%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 2 g4.4%
Vitamin A 6.2% Vitamin C 76.3%
Calcium 5.3% Iron 3.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Cut the cabbage into 4. Remove the stem and chop them into 1- 1 ½ inch strips.
2. In a large pot heat butter and olive oil on medium.
3. Add salt and pepper to it.
4. Put the cabbage and pour broth.
5. Toss it well or stir till well coated.
6. Season with seasoning salt, mix well, and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes or till the cabbage is soft and tender. Stir occasionally and do not overcook.
8. Turn off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes.
9. In a serving plate, serve with choice of a main dish.
Sauteed onions, garlic, pepper flakes, smoked meat, etc can also be added if desired to enhance the flavor.
To make this dish completely vegetarian, water can be used instead of chicken broth.