- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Grandma's Fruit Cake Recipe
|Citron||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Maraschino cherries||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Golden raisins||30 Ounce (Two 15 Ounce Package)|
|Gumdrops||2 Pound (Use Not Spiced Variety)|
|All purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs), sifted (Regular Variety)|
|Cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 , well beaten|
|Canned apple sauce||1 Pound (About 1 Can)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 20308 Calories from Fat 7627
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 882 g1356.8%
Saturated Fat 385.7 g1928.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2508.8 mg
Sodium 4760.9 mg198.4%
Total Carbohydrates 3026 g1008.8%
Dietary Fiber 106.1 g424.2%
Sugars 2004.2 g
Protein 215 g430%
Vitamin A 368% Vitamin C 109.9%
Calcium 158.6% Iron 394.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Line 3 to 4 bread tins using 2 layers of aluminum foil, then 1 layer waxed paper.
2. Sift flour with the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, soda, and salt.
3. Coat the citron, raisins and cherries with some of the flour mixture.
4. Put some of the flour mixture on a board and coat the gumdrops with it.
5. Working on the floured board, cut the gumdrops into small pieces (the flour keeps them from sticking to each other).
6. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small saucepan. Saute the walnuts or pecans in the butter until they are golden brown and crisp.
7. Cool, then coat in some of the flour mixture.
8. Preheat the oven to 300°F
9. Cream the remaining butter and sugar together until well blended and fluffy.
10. Combine the eggs, apple sauce, and vanilla.
11. Add apple sauce mixture and flour mixture alternately to the creamed butter and sugar.
12. Stir in nuts, fruit mixture and gumdrops (including any flour from the cutting board.
13. Pour the thick batter and spread into the tins.
14. Bake in a preheated oven for about 2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the cakes are golden brown.
15. Remove paper while warm.
16. Once cool, rewrap with aluminum foil and let flavors intensify overnight or two days.
17. Warm again or slice cold and serve with tea.