- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Grandma Obrecht's Lemon Pie Recipe
|9 inch baked pie shell||1|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||4 , slightly beaten|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1|
|Granulated sugar||8 Tablespoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Calories 396 Calories from Fat 84
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.8%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 95.2 mg
Sodium 265.2 mg11%
Total Carbohydrates 74 g24.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.21 g0.85%
Sugars 53.9 g
Protein 4 g7.6%
Vitamin A 2.9% Vitamin C 13%
Calcium 10.9% Iron 1.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Collect and measure all the required ingredients.
2. Prepare a double boiler by placing a saucepan filled with 3 inches of water on a medium low flame.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F before baking.
4. In saucepan that fits over the double boiler, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and boiling water.
5. Place over a direct flame and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
6. Transfer the pan over the double boiler and cook, until the mixture thickens and is transparent.
7. Taking pan off the heat, add the egg yolks and the butter and whisk vigorously to blend well.
8. Return pan over the double boiler and cook, stirring for 2 minutes before adding the lemon rind and juice.
9. Cook the lemon curd until thick.
10. Take pan off the heat and pour the lemon curd into the pie shell and leave aside.
11. In a clean dry bowl, make the meringue by beating the egg whites with a wire whisk, until stiff.
12. Add the sugar and cream of tarter and whisk until meringue stands in soft peaks.
13. Spoon over the lemon curd and spread, making small peaks with the back of the spoon.
14. Sprinkle with a little sugar and place in the preheated oven until meringue is lightly browned and sugar is caramelized.
15. Remove and allow the pie to cool slightly then serve.
16. Slice into wedges and serve.