- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Granary Flour Bread Recipe
|Flour||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Strong white flour/6 ounce of the flour plus 2 ounce bran||8 Ounce|
|Bran||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk/Milk and water mixed||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
Calories 739 Calories from Fat 57
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.1%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 12 mg
Sodium 879.1 mg36.6%
Total Carbohydrates 149 g49.6%
Dietary Fiber 6.8 g27.1%
Sugars 9.5 g
Protein 24 g47.8%
Vitamin A 2.4% Vitamin C
Calcium 17% Iron 48.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease a baking sheet with oil or baking spray.
2. Preheat the oven to 375° F, 190° C, 40 minutes before baking time.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the white flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt and mix in the granary flour, bran and sugar.
4. Pour in the milk and stirring with a wooden spoon or your hand bind the ingredients into soft, smooth dough.
5. Turn the dough out onto a flour dusted board or work surface and knead with the back of your palm for 10 minutes until it is soft and pliable.
6. Using a well dusted rolling pin or your palm, flatter the dough into a circle 1 ½ inches in thickness.
7. Place the bread on the greased baking sheet and using a sharp tipped knife make a cross on the surface of the dough.
8. Place the baking sheet on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the bread has risen and gets a golden brown crust.
9. Remove the bread from the oven and immediately invert it on to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely before serving.