- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gooseberry Glazed Game Hens with Sage Stuffing Recipe
|Game hens||2 (Reserve Inner Bag)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Dried sage||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Bread slices||2 , cut into 1/2 -inch cubes|
|Gooseberry preserves||2 Tablespoon|
|Dijon mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Green peppercorns in vinegar||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3457 Calories from Fat 1594
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 177 g272.3%
Saturated Fat 52.4 g261.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1164.3 mg388.1%
Sodium 1516.9 mg63.2%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23.1%
Dietary Fiber 6.7 g26.6%
Sugars 30.7 g
Protein 374 g748.7%
Vitamin A 9.5% Vitamin C 26.8%
Calcium 41.2% Iron 182.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Wash hen and pat dry on paper towels
2) Remove livers from the inner bags and chop small.
3) In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon butter, add chopped livers, onion, and sage and sautÃ© for 5 minutes, then toss in bread cubes.
4) Stuff the hens with liver mix and place in oven at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
5) Lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 45 to 50 minutes.
6) To glaze, gently heat the remaining butter and mix in gooseberry preserves, mustard, and peppercorns with their vinegar. Place on back of stove to keep glaze warm, without cooking.
7) Brush over hens two or three times during baking beginning after temperature reduction.
8) Add the remaining glaze over the hens and serve.