- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Golden Squash Soup Recipe
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped tomato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fat-free chicken broth||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs) (1 1/2 Cups + 2 Tablespoons, Health Valley Brand)|
|Sliced crookneck squash||3⁄4 Pound (Use Yellow Variety)|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use Low Fat, If Available)|
|Crushed dried basil||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crushed dried oregano||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1 Pinch|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh basil leaves||4|
|Thin tomato slices||4|
|Plain non-fat yogurt||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 68 Calories from Fat 5
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.59 g0.91%
Saturated Fat 0.07 g0.36%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 421.7 mg17.6%
Total Carbohydrates 12 g4.1%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 5.3 g
Protein 4 g8%
Vitamin A 12.1% Vitamin C 24.4%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 6.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a soup pot, cook a mixture of onion, tomato and 2 tablespoons of chicken broth for 5 minutes until the vegetables become soft.
2) Bring the mixture to a boil after adding in remaining chicken broth and squash.
3) Simmer, covered for 15 minutes until squash is soft and then take off the mixture from heat.
4) In a blender, puree soup with buttermilk.
5) Pour the soup back to pot and then mix in basil, oregano, pepper, honey and lemon juice.
6) Reduce heat to low and cook, covered to just warm the mixture.
7) Serve hot, garnished with a basil leaf, a thin slice of tomato and a spoon of nonfat yogurt.