- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Golden Potato Pancakes Recipe
|Potatoes||2 Pound (4 Large Sized)|
|Grated carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Matzo meal||2 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||1 Pinch|
|Shortening/Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Applesauce||1 Tablespoon, chilled|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1091 Calories from Fat 189
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.8%
Saturated Fat 5.9 g29.6%
Trans Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 423 mg
Sodium 2231.5 mg93%
Total Carbohydrates 204 g67.9%
Dietary Fiber 23.4 g93.6%
Sugars 14.2 g
Protein 35 g70%
Vitamin A 10.1% Vitamin C 304.2%
Calcium 22.3% Iron 50.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Using medium grater, grate potatoes into a colander; drain thoroughly.
3. While potato is draining, combine carrot and onion in a medium bowl.
4. Add thoroughly drained potato (if necessary, squeeze out any excess moisture between folds of a clean dish towel) to onion and carrot.
5. Sprinkle matzo meal, baking powder, salt and pepper over vegetables.
6. In a small bowl, beat eggs well. Pour over vegetables and stir with a wooden spoon to thoroughly combine ingredients.
7. Heat half the shortening in a heavy skillet; for each pancake, drop two tablespoons of potato mixture into hot fat. Flatten with a spatula to make 3-inch cakes. Fry about 3 minutes on each side or until golden-brown.
8. Drain fried cakes on paper towels; keep hot while frying remaining cakes. Add more shortening as needed.
9. Serve hot with chilled applesauce.