- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Glazed Carrots and Parsnips Recipe
|Carrots||4 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Parsnips||2 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Caster sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter||1⁄2 Ounce (for finish)|
|Freshly chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
Calories 234 Calories from Fat 132
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.1%
Saturated Fat 9.3 g46.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 38.1 mg
Sodium 156.1 mg6.5%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.6%
Sugars 13.7 g
Protein 2 g3.4%
Vitamin A 255.8% Vitamin C 35.5%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 5.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a saucepan, melt half the butter and sautÃ© carrots and parsnips for 2 minutes, turning frequently.
2) Stir in the ginger, nutmeg and season to taste.
3) Blend in the lemon juice and adequate water to cover the vegetables.
4) Put the lid on and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and almost dry.
5) Mix in the sugar and remaining butter, raise the heat and fold the vegetables until they are glossy.
6) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Place the cooled carrot mixture in a plastic container.
7) Seal, label and freeze the container.
8) Serve hot garnished with parsley.
9) If using the frozen carrot mixture, thaw at room temperature for 2 hour.
10) In a saucepan, place the carrot mixture, reheat gently over stove, stirring occasionally.
11) Serve as mentioned in step 8.