- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Glazed Brussels Sprouts and Chestnuts Recipe
|Chestnuts||8 Ounce, unshelled|
|Brussels sprouts||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), trimmed (2 Small Cups)|
|White onions||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), peeled (1 Small Cup)|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), defatted|
|Maple syrup||2 Tablespoon|
|Apple cider vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 99 Calories from Fat 8
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.87 g1.3%
Saturated Fat 0.17 g0.85%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.45 mg
Sodium 27.3 mg1.1%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.7%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 2 g4.1%
Vitamin A 2.5% Vitamin C 25.4%
Calcium 1.5% Iron 2.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) On the flat side of each chestnut shell, with a sharp knife, make an X mark.
2) In a 9 inch glass pie plate, arrange the shells in a single layer.
3) Microwave on high, both sides, for 2 minutes each, flipping the pieces. The nuts should be soft when squeezed.
4) Let the nuts stand for 5 minutes, or until they are cool enough to handle.
5) Now, remove the shells.
6) Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, blanch the sprouts and onions for 5 minutes.
7) Drain the sprouts well.
8) To a large frying pan, transfer the drained sprouts.
9) To this, add the stock, maple syrup, vinegar and pepper.
10) Cook, covered over medium heat for 5 minutes.
11) To this, add the chestnuts and cook again for 5 minutes. The sprouts should turn just tender.
12) Then, cook, uncovered, until the liquid turns into a glaze. Stir as required.
13) Transfer to decorative salad bowls and serve immediately.