- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ginger Nuts Recipe
|Plain flour||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Ground mixed spice||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Golden syrup||1 Ounce (1 Heaped Tablespoon)|
Calories 288 Calories from Fat 110
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.2%
Saturated Fat 7.5 g37.7%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 30.5 mg
Sodium 371.9 mg15.5%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g13.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.98 g3.9%
Sugars 16.7 g
Protein 2 g4.1%
Vitamin A 7.1% Vitamin C 0.09%
Calcium 6.4% Iron 1.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven moderate to 350°F, 180°C or Gas No.
2) In a bowl sieve together flour, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice.
3) Cut butter or margarine in pieces and rub the mixture.
4) Mix sugar and stir.
5) In a saucepan measure syrup and warm over low heat.
6) With a spoon mix the syrup to the other ingredients and then mix with fingers to make a soft dough.
7) Knead the dough on a clean working surface and shape into a long sausage.
8) Cut into eighteen equal-sized pieces.
9) Round up each piece of dough with hands and roll in castor sugar.
10) On greased baking trays arrange placed at some distance in about six on a tray.
11) Flatten gingernut with the base of a tumbler dipped in castor sugar.
12) Place in centre of oven and bake for 15 minutes.
13) Let cool on trays for sometime and remove into cooling tray.
14) Store in an airtight tin.