- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gingered Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
|Butternut squash||4 1⁄2 Pound (2 Pieces)|
|Chopped onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (About 1 Large)|
|Peeled cored chopped pear||1 Cup (16 tbs) (About 1 Large)|
|Minced peeled fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Canned fat free low sodium chicken broth||28 Ounce, divided (2 Cans, 14 Ounces Each)|
|Fat free half and half||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Honey||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Curry powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground red pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1684 Calories from Fat 262
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46%
Saturated Fat 16.3 g81.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.5 mg
Sodium 990.9 mg41.3%
Total Carbohydrates 349 g116.2%
Dietary Fiber 55.8 g223.3%
Sugars 113.6 g
Protein 40 g80.2%
Vitamin A 4360.2% Vitamin C 765.2%
Calcium 111.7% Iron 94.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds. Reserve seeds for toasting. Place squash, cut sides down, on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until skin pierces easily with a fork. Scoop out pulp; set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
4. To toast seeds, rinse seeds and pat dry. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 15 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned, stirring every 5 minutes.
5. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, pear, and ginger. Saute 10 minutes or until tender. Add squash pulp and 1 can broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
6. Place mixture in a blender or food processor. Process in batches until smooth. Pour mixture through a strainer into a bowl, pressing with the back of a spoon.
7. Return soup to Dutch oven. Add 1 can broth, half-and-half, and next 5 ingredients. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated, stirring often. Spoon into serving bowls, and top with toasted seeds.