- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gingerbread Men Recipe
|Shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Allspice||1⁄4 Teaspoon (or cloves)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Molasses||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 639 Calories from Fat 215
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.4%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.3%
Trans Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 35.2 mg11.7%
Sodium 780.5 mg32.5%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.8%
Sugars 41.9 g
Protein 8 g15.2%
Vitamin A 0.9% Vitamin C 0.33%
Calcium 15.7% Iron 29.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sift together twice the flour, soda and baking powder. Add to the molasses mixture and stir until blended. Chill.
3. Preheat oven to moderate (375° F.).
4. Using a third to a quarter of the dough at a time, roll it to one-eighth inch or slightly thicker on a lightly floured pastry cloth with a floured, covered rolling pin.
5. Cut with gingerbread man cutter or any other cutters desired. If no cutters are available, fold a sheet of heavy paper lengthwise and draw half the desired shape (half of head, neck, one arm, etc.) next to the fold. Cut out the figure and unfold to make a symmetrical pattern. Grease one side of pattern, place on rolled-out dough and cut around outline with a floured sharp knife. Transfer carefully to greased baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough. Before baking, press raisins into the dough for eyes, nose and buttons on suit. Use half a slice of candied cherry for mouth.
6. Place in oven and bake eight to ten minutes. Cool on a rack. If desired, decorate with decorative frosting.