- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gingerbread Men Recipe
|Shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Molasses||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3829 Calories from Fat 1287
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 146 g224.1%
Saturated Fat 36.4 g181.8%
Trans Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg
Sodium 4683.4 mg195.1%
Total Carbohydrates 593 g197.6%
Dietary Fiber 13.1 g52.2%
Sugars 251.6 g
Protein 46 g91.2%
Vitamin A 5.2% Vitamin C 1.4%
Calcium 93.4% Iron 177.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sift together twice the flour, soda and baking powder. Add to the molasses mixture and stir until blended. Chill.
3. Preheat oven to moderate (375° F.).
4. Using a third to a quarter of the dough at a time, roll it to one-eighth inch or slightly thicker on a lightly floured pastry cloth with a floured, covered rolling pin.
5. Cut with gingerbread man cutter or any other cutters desired. If no cutters are available, fold a sheet of heavy paper lengthwise and draw half the desired shape (half of head, neck, one arm, etc.) next to the fold. Cut out the figure and unfold to make a symmetrical pattern. Grease one side of pattern, place on rolled-out dough and cut around outline with a floured sharp knife. Transfer carefully to greased baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough. Before baking, press raisins into the dough for eyes, nose and buttons on suit. Use half a slice of candied cherry for mouth.
6. Place in oven and bake eight to ten minutes. Cool on a rack. If desired, decorate with decorative frosting