- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gingerbread Houses Recipe Video
|Egg whites||5 Ounce (Pasteurized, for Royal Icing)|
|Powdered sugar||29 Ounce, sifted (for Royal Icing)|
|Cream of tartar||3 Gram (for Royal Icing)|
|Unsalted butter||18 Ounce (room temperature)|
|Brown sugar||18 Ounce|
|Lemon zest||3 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||4 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||51 Ounce|
|Baking powder||1 Ounce|
|Ginger||15 Gram, ground|
|Allspice||10 Gram, ground|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 16077 Calories from Fat 4075
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 464 g713.2%
Saturated Fat 275.3 g1376.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2536.2 mg
Sodium 3214.7 mg133.9%
Total Carbohydrates 2805 g934.9%
Dietary Fiber 43.4 g173.6%
Sugars 1566.9 g
Protein 213 g426.6%
Vitamin A 289.7% Vitamin C 86%
Calcium 364% Iron 551%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Royal Icing : In an electric mixing bowl, place the egg whites and onto the mixer.
2) Sift the powdered sugar with the cream of tartar to remove any lumps.
3) Add half of the dry ingredients to the egg whites and mix on low speed with a paddle attachment until well incorporated.
4) Add the remaining dry ingredients and continue to mix, scraping the sides of the bowl often. Mix for 5 to 7 minutes on medium speed, or until desired consistency.
5) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
6) In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
7) Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and molasses.
8) Gradually beat in the eggs.
9) Sift the flour, baking powder, and spices together; beat into creamed mixture until well combined. Wrap the bowl in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
10) Roll the dough out using the flour generously to keep it from sticking. Roll the dough to about a 1/8- inch thickness. Use the gingerbread house templates and cut out two of each: side wall, end walls, and roof piece.
11) In the preheated oven, bake the gingerbread on sheet pans lined with parchment paper for 10 minutes, or until crisp. Rotate in the oven to ensure the gingerbread bakes evenly. Allow to cool completely before using.
12) Using royal icing glue the house together. Assemble the sides and ends of the house first and all the icing to dry. Then attach the roof pieces. The roof will overhang on the sides by a bit.
13) Decorate the assembled houses with a variety of candies and decorations using royal icing as glue.