- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gingerbread Boys and Girls Recipe
|For cookie dough|
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking soda||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), firmly packed|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|Dark molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For decorating icing|
|Egg whites||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (4 Eggs)|
|Sifted confectioners' sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Assorted food colorings||3|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6084 Calories from Fat 867
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 99 g152.3%
Saturated Fat 60.1 g300.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 241.9 mg
Sodium 2165.8 mg90.2%
Total Carbohydrates 1222 g407.3%
Dietary Fiber 20 g80%
Sugars 743.8 g
Protein 63 g125%
Vitamin A 57.2% Vitamin C 4.7%
Calcium 190.8% Iron 326.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. In large bowl, with portable electric mixer at medium speed, beat brown sugar, butter and molasses until well combined.
3. With wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture; then mix with hands until well combined. Form dough into a ball. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
4. Next day, preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
5. Divide dough into four parts. Refrigerate until ready to roll out.
6. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough, one part at a time, 1/8 inch thick.
7. Using 5-inch gingerbread-man cutter, cut out 3 gingerbread figures from each part of dough. Use assorted small cutters to cut out rest of dough.
8. Place cookies, 1 inch apart, on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 6 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove to wire rack; let cool.
9. Meanwhile, make Decorating Icing: In medium bowl, with portable electric mixer at medium speed, beat egg whites with 3 3/4 cups sugar, to make a smooth, stiff frosting. If frosting seems too thin, beat in a little more sugar. Cover with damp cloth.
10. To decorate cookies: Pipe frosting through number-4 small tip to make facial features. Spread aprons onto figures. Decorate with bits of gumdrops and frosting tinted green, yellow and pink. Makes 1 dozen gingerbread boys and girls and 7 to 8 dozen smaller cookies.