- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Golden Syrup Gingerbread Recipe
|Plain flour||8 Ounce|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Ginger||3 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Soft brown sugar||4 Ounce|
|Golden syrup||4 Ounce|
|Ginger||2 Ounce, preserved|
|Peel||1 Ounce, candied|
|Blanched almonds||2 Ounce|
Calories 421 Calories from Fat 153
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.4%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g21.9%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 50.3 mg
Sodium 288.8 mg12%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.8%
Sugars 34.1 g
Protein 6 g11.6%
Vitamin A 1.2% Vitamin C 8.7%
Calcium 13.1% Iron 21.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven moderate to 325°F, 170°C or Gas No. 3.
2) In a bowl sift flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon. Keep aside.
3) In a saucepan cut in fat. Add sugar, treacle, and syrup measuring 2 rounded tablespoons of both treacle and syrup.
4) Place over low heat and warm gently until fat has melted.
5) Take off from heat and keep aside.
6) Into the saucepan add eggs and milk. Mix together thoroughly.
7) At the centre of the flour pour egg and syrup mixture and mix with wooden spoon until smooth and glossy.
8) Mix sultanas, ginger and candied peel.
9) Grease a 8-inch (20-cm) square cake tin and place a greased paper at the bottom.
10) Pour the mixture into it.
11) Sprinkle flaked almonds over it.
12) Keep at the center of oven and bake for 1 hour.
13) Let stand with the oven doors closed for first 40 minutes.
14) Place on a rack and cool.
15) Prepare the gingerbread a few days in advance, kept two or three days in a closed tin or wrapped in foil.