- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 Small, beaten|
|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ginger||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 637 Calories from Fat 244
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.4%
Saturated Fat 6.9 g34.6%
Trans Fat 3.4 g
Cholesterol 60.3 mg20.1%
Sodium 501.8 mg20.9%
Total Carbohydrates 93 g31.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.1%
Sugars 48.6 g
Protein 7 g13.4%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C 0.14%
Calcium 15.8% Iron 25.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Start the oven and preheat it to 350° F
2. Lightly grease a square cake tin with oil or butter and dust it with flour.
3. Into a large basin, sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the shortening.
5. Pour the boiling water over the shortening and stir until melted.
6. Add the brown sugar and molasses and whisk until sugar dissolves.
7. Add the eggs and the molasses to the dry ingredients and beat with an electric beater until well blended.
8. Pour the batter into the cake tin
9. Place in the preheated oven immediately and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until springy to touch and the top is golden brown
10. Remove from oven and invert the cake on a wire rack. Allow it to cool.
11. Slice the cake into 1 inch thick slices.
12. Serve enjoy as a snack, with tea or for breakfast if you like.