- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ginger & Treacle Bread - Yeats Country Foods - Our Precious Recipe Video
|Self raising flour||8 Ounce|
|Wholemeal flour||8 Ounce (Coarse)|
|Brown sugar||4 Ounce|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Treacle||2 Fluid Ounce|
|Butter||1⁄2 Teaspoon (To melt the treacle)|
|To grease the loaf pan|
|Butter||1 Teaspoon (As needed for greasing)|
Calories 402 Calories from Fat 122
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.2%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 47.2 mg
Sodium 475.7 mg19.8%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g20.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.2%
Sugars 19.4 g
Protein 9 g18.7%
Vitamin A 11.4% Vitamin C 0.1%
Calcium 19.9% Iron 24.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Loaf pans
1. In a saucepan, melt treacle with a little bit of butter, gently stir and set aside.
2. Grease loaf pans with butter and set aside. Preheat the oven.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add self raising flour, coarse wholemeal flour, brown sugar, pinch of salt, ginger and baking powder.
4. Add margarine and combine it well with the flour mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, add buttermilk and eggs and whisk to combine well.
6. Add the treacle mixture to the eggs and buttermilk and beat well to mix.
7. Gradually add the prepared treacle and buttermilk mixture to the flour mix and combine.
8. Transfer the prepared mixture into the greased loaf pan (3/4 filled) and bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes.
9. Once done, take the loafs out of the loaf pan and lay them on their side and bake again for about 10 minutes for a crispy bottom crust.
11. Serve plain or as desired.