- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ginger Infused Shortcake with Fresh Berries & Candied Ginger Garnish Recipe
|For the shortcake|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon (Gourmet Garden’s ginger spice blend)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chilled|
|Cold milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|For the berries|
|Fresh strawberries||1 Pint (topped and sliced)|
|Fresh blueberries||1⁄2 Pint|
|Juice of lemon||1⁄2|
|Confectioner s sugar||5 Tablespoon|
|For the candied ginger|
|Fresh ginger root||1⁄2 Pound|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Pound (Approximately)|
Calories 370 Calories from Fat 100
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.5%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.7%
Trans Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 1.5 mg
Sodium 265.5 mg11.1%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.7%
Sugars 39 g
Protein 4 g8%
Vitamin A 0.7% Vitamin C 55%
Calcium 18.1% Iron 10.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need4 quart saucepan
1. Preheat oven to 425° F
2. In a large bowl sift together flour, salt, cream of tartar, baking powder and sugar.
3. Add in chilled shortening and ginger paste until mixture forms pea-sized lumps.
4. Add cold milk and stir until mixture forms smooth dough.
5. Roll on floured board or pat out to about 1/2 inch thick.
6. Cut circles with biscuit cutter, place on un-greased cookie sheet and brush top with milk or melted butter.
7. Bake 10 minutes until tops are golden brown.
8. Once done remove and let it rest on a cooling rack.
9. Cut the shortcake into half; place the bottom piece in the center of the serving plate.
10. Place spoonful of berries on top and fresh cream if you like.
11. Stack the second half of the shortcake and top it with fresh cream and candied ginger.
12. Drizzle some berries glaze on the plate.
13. If you do not like the dessert stacked then serve the shortcake along with the berries glaze on the side garnished with whipped cream and candied ginger.
14. Serve the ginger infused shortcake with fresh berries & candied ginger after a hearty meal.
FOR THE BERRIES
1. Remove the top green leaves from the strawberries wash and cut them in half.
2. Remove stems from the blueberries.
3. In a mixing bowl combine the berries, confectioner’s sugar and lemon juice.
4. Lightly muddle the fruit mixture to create a glaze.
5. Once done set aside and let it chill in the refrigerator.
FOR THE CANDIED GINGER
1. Spray, nonstick sprays on a cooling rack and set it in a half sheet pan lined with parchment. Paper.
2. Peel and slice the ginger root about 1/8 inch thick slices.
3. Place the ginger in a 4 quart saucepan along with water and set it over medium high heat.
4. Cover with a lid and cook for 30 minutes or until the ginger is tender.
5. Once done rain the ginger into a colander, reserve ¼ cup of the cooking liquid.
6. Pour the ginger and ¼ cup water to the pan and add sugar.
7. Over medium high heat bring it to a boil, stirring frequently.
8. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the sugar syrup looks dry and almost evaporated and begins to recrystallize approximately for 20 minutes stirring frequently.
9. Transfer the ginger on the cooling rach and spread to separate the individual pieces.
10. Once it’s cooled chop and sprinkle over the strawberry shortcake.