- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Candied Ginger Recipe Video
|Ginger||2 Cup (32 tbs), peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Club soda||2 Liter|
Calories 170 Calories from Fat 1
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.14 g0.22%
Saturated Fat 0.04 g0.19%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 44.5 mg1.9%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.38 g1.5%
Sugars 40.3 g
Protein 0.35 g0.7%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 1.6%
Calcium 1.3% Iron 0.77%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Cookie sheet
2. A funnel (to help pour the syrup into a squeeze bottle)
1. Get a saucepan on the stove and add the water and sugar. Turn the heat up to medium high and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Once dissolved, add in the ginger and turn down to medium to simmer it the mixture is reduced by half.
3. When your mixture is done reducing, remove from the heat. The syrup will thicken more as it cools. Take out the ginger slices and set them aside to prepare the candy.
4. Now take the ginger slices and toss them lightly in more sugar. Put them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and put them into a 225 F oven for 3 hours. The ginger candy should be dry yet chewy.
5. Now that the syrup is cool, funnel it into a convenient squeeze bottle and refrigerate it. For a simple ginger soda, just use one part syrup to about 7 parts soda.
6. Serve chilled along with the candied ginger.
For variations of the drink, you can add mint, lime juice, rum, vodka or any drink of your choice.