- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Korean Food: Garlic Chive Dumplings (부추 만두) Recipe Video
|Dumpling wrapper||55 Large|
|Garlic chives||2 Cup (32 tbs), finely chopped|
|Firm tofu||12 Ounce, drained (or ground beef 1 lb)|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Cellophane noodles||2 Ounce, cooked, drained, finely chopped|
|Cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked, finely chopped|
|Oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (as needed for shallow frying)|
|Soy sauce||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Cooking wine||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dipping sauce ingredients:|
|Soy sauce||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Hot pepper powder/Hot pepper oil||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 227 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.5%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 31.1 mg
Sodium 494.6 mg20.6%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.5%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 8 g15.6%
Vitamin A 0.9% Vitamin C 14.8%
Calcium 10.7% Iron 12.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a pan of boiling water add the cellophane noodles and cook for 3 minutes on a high heat. Once cooked, drain the water and let it cook before chopping them.
2. Take a microwave safe plate and place 7 oz of cabbage leaves on it and sprinkle some water and cook it for about 2 minutes on high in a microwave oven.
3. After cooking chop the cabbage finely.
4. Remove the water from the tofu by wrapping it in a paper towel and squeezing it.
5. In a large mixing bowl add the chopped vegetables, noodles and the tofu along with the egg.
6. In the same bowl add soy sauce, cooking wine, sesame oil, minced garlic, sugar, black pepper and salt and mix everything together. The vegetarian version of a garlic chive dumpling mixture is ready.
7. Using a spoon take a little bit of the mixture and place in a large dumpling wrap. Use a little water to touch the edges of the wrap. This water will help to seal the dumplings close.
8. Pre-heat the steamer before you steam the dumplings. Steam the dumplings on high heat for 10 minutes. Once done, let the dumplings cool and then store in the freezer in zip lock bags and can be served as a snack later.
9. In a pan that is generously oiled, fry the dumplings on medium high heat till both sides have turned golden brown in color.
10. The dipping sauce can be prepared by mixing soy sauce, vinegar and if required hot pepper powder or oil together.
11. Serve the dumplings with the dipping sauce.
For meat version of the dumplings use ground beef instead of the tofu.