- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gajar Ka Halwa (Carrot pudding) - Gajrela or Gajar Barfi - Carrot Burfi by Bhavna Recipe Video
|Carrots||4 Medium, peeled, washed, shredded|
|Milk powder||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Almonds||1 Tablespoon, slivered (Optional)|
|Pistachios||1 Tablespoon, slivered (Optional)|
|Cashews||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Raisins||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
Calories 273 Calories from Fat 155
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.6%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.8 mg11.9%
Sodium 63.9 mg2.7%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g8.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.6%
Sugars 20.2 g
Protein 4 g8.6%
Vitamin A 205.1% Vitamin C 7.4%
Calcium 8.9% Iron 5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Shredder
1. Heat a pan at medium temperature, add the ghee and the shredded carrots and cook them well until tender.
2. Once the carrots are done, add the nuts (almonds, pistachios, cashews and raisins), reserving some for decorating the sweet before serving. Cook for a few more minutes. (Carrots are to be cooked for a minimum of 6 minutes)
3. Add milk powder and stir for a few minutes.
4. Add sugar and stir well. Finally add the cardamom powder and stir to combine well.
5. Serve the carrot pudding garnished with the slivered almonds, pistachios and raisins.
A low fat option of making this halwa is by steaming the carrots instead of cooking it in ghee.