- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gai Yang BBQ Chicken Part 1 Recipe Video
|Whole chicken||1 Large, spatchcocked|
|Lemongrass||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Cilantro roots||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Thai soy sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fish sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Dark soy sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|For dipping sauce|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon, freshly ground (or to taste)|
|Lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Chili flakes||2 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Toasted rice powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh cilantro||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
Calories 898 Calories from Fat 517
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 57 g88.3%
Saturated Fat 16.3 g81.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 281.2 mg93.7%
Sodium 4564.5 mg190.2%
Total Carbohydrates 14 g4.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.2%
Sugars 3.3 g
Protein 79 g157.8%
Vitamin A 22.1% Vitamin C 56.4%
Calcium 12.3% Iron 41.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Using the back of the knife, bruise the lemon grass and then chop it finely.
3. In a mortar and pestle, put the lemon grass.
4. Finely chop the cilantro roots and add to the mortar.
5. Add 2 cloves of garlic and pound it into a rough paste.
6. In a large mixing bowl, put the lemongrass paste.
7. Add Thai soy sauce, fish sauce, dark soy sauce, freshly ground black pepper; mix it up.
8. Remove 1 tablespoon of the marinade and keep it aside in a small bowl.
9. Spatchcock the whole chicken as instructed.
10. Wash the chicken well.
11. Marinade the chicken in the marinade and press it from both sides.
12. Put your fingers between the chicken breast and skin and add little bit of the reserved marinade to flavor the chicken breasts.
13. Let the chicken marinate for 1 hour; flip once for the marinade to penetrate all sides of the chicken.
14. While the chicken is marinating, prepare the marinade in a small bowl.
15. In the small bowl, take fish sauce, lime juice and sugar; mix well.
16. Place the chicken in a baking tray lined with aluminium foil.
17. Brush the marinated chicken to remove the lemon grass, tuck the lemon grass underneath the chicken.
18. Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes.
19. Check the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken; should be 165 degrees but the chicken should be taken out when the temperature is 160 degrees as the chicken continues to cook even after it is taken out of the oven.
20. Once chicken is out of the oven, let it sit for 10-15 minutes for the juices to get absorbed.
21. Cut the chicken and serve it with the dipping sauce with glutinous rice.