- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Eggless Fruit Coffee Cake Recipe
|Mixed fruits||3 Cup (48 tbs) (not cherries or nuts)|
|Sodium bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Strong coffee||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cocoa||1 Ounce (1 heaped tablespoon)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mixed spice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 479 Calories from Fat 149
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.1%
Saturated Fat 10.4 g51.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.8 mg
Sodium 306.7 mg12.8%
Total Carbohydrates 79 g26.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.3%
Sugars 40.7 g
Protein 6 g12.7%
Vitamin A 13.7% Vitamin C 25.6%
Calcium 10.3% Iron 16.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large saucepan, combine the fruits with sugar and water and boil for 3 minutes.
2. Take pan off the heat and stir in the soda and butter.
3. Leave to stand overnight.
4. Grease an 9-inch round or square cake tin or a loaf pan with oil and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.
5. Preheat the oven to 350° F
6. In a large mixing bowl, sift flour with spices, cocoa, spices and baking powder.
7. Stir in the coffee, caramel and water.
8. Add the cooked fruit mixture to the flour mixture along with chopped cherries and nuts.
9. Mix quickly and lightly, only enough to moisten.
10. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
11. Place the tin in a pan of hot water and place in the hot oven.
12. Bake for about 1 hour.
13. Cover tin with wax paper and continue to bake for another 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and cake is well browned.
14. Remove and let the cake cool in the pan before inverting it onto a wire rack.
15. Slice and serve the cake warm or cold, for breakfast or as a teatime snack.
16. You can wrap the cake in cling film and decorate it well. Include this fruit cake in your holiday gift hampers.