- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Healthy Fruit Cake Recipe
|Whole wheat flour||12 Ounce|
|Demerara sugar||6 Ounce|
|Fruits and nuts||12 Ounce (raisins)|
|Apple puree||7 Ounce|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 400 Calories from Fat 159
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.9%
Saturated Fat 11.1 g55.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 45.7 mg
Sodium 36.5 mg1.5%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.7%
Dietary Fiber 6 g23.8%
Sugars 23.8 g
Protein 6 g12.8%
Vitamin A 10.7% Vitamin C 0.04%
Calcium 2.6% Iron 9.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease an 8-inch round or square cake tin with oil and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 350° F
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour and salt.
4. Add butter cubes and rub into the flour mixture with your fingertips, so that the mixture resembles crumbs.
5. Stir in the sugar, fruits and nuts.
6. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the apple puree.
7. Gradually add the liquid to the dry ingredients, mixing quickly and lightly, only enough to moisten.
8. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
9. Bake in preheated oven for about 1 1/2 hours, reducing the temperature to 300 degree F after 1 hour of baking.
10. Bake until a skewer comes out clean and cake is well browned.
11. Remove and let the cake cool in the pan before inverting it onto a wire rack.
12. Slice and serve the cake warm or cold, for breakfast or as a teatime snack.
13. You can wrap the warm cake in cling film and decorate it well. Include this healthy fruit cake in your Christmas gift hampers.