- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Fruit Pie Recipe
|Canned pitted tart red cherries||32 Ounce (Water-Packed, 2 Cans, 16 Ounce Each)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Almond extract||4 Drop|
|Red food coloring||10 Drop|
|Pastry||1 (For Double-Crust Pie)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2023 Calories from Fat 239
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.3%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 32.3 mg
Sodium 251 mg10.5%
Total Carbohydrates 447 g148.9%
Dietary Fiber 12.4 g49.7%
Sugars 378.7 g
Protein 11 g22.5%
Vitamin A 144.3% Vitamin C 31.8%
Calcium 10.7% Iron 70.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. In a medium saucepan combine 3/4 cup of the sugar, the cornstarch, and salt; stir in reserved cherry liquid.
3. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 3/4 cup sugar, the cherries, butter or margarine, and almond extract. If desired, stir in food coloring. Let stand while preparing pastry.
5. Prepare and roll out pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Turn cherry filling into pastry-lined pie plate.
6. Cut remaining pastry into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Weave strips atop filling to make lattice crust; flute edge. Brush top of pastry with some milk and sprinkle with sugar, if desired. To prevent over-browning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in 375° oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or till crust is golden. Cool pie on rack before serving.