- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Fried Lambs' Sweetbreads Recipe
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown breadcrumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 381 Calories from Fat 179
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.1%
Saturated Fat 10.1 g50.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 608.6 mg
Sodium 778.6 mg32.4%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.27 g1.1%
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 41 g82%
Vitamin A 8.3% Vitamin C 0.2%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 4.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a shallow dish, place the sweetbreads and cover with cold water.
2. Let soak for 4-5 hours or preferably overnight, draining and covering with fresh water 1 or 2 times, to drain blood and whiten the sweetbreads
3. Drain, rinse the sweetbreads
4. To blanch the sweetbreads, place them in a large heavy saucepan and cover with cold water.
5. Add a generous pinch of salt and place pan on medium flame.
6. Heat till water begins to boil.
7. Drain the water and let them cool until easy to handle.
8. Trim off excess fat, loose tissue and skin.
9. Return sweetbreads to pan and cover with chicken stock.
10. When stock begins to boil, reduce heat.
11. Let simmer for 45 minutes, or until they a tender cooked.
12. Drain well.
13. Place the sweetbreads on a flat plate; weigh down with another plate and leave to cool. This will prevent them from curling.
14. If large, halve sweetbreads at a slant.
15. Bread them by dipping in beaten egg and coating with brown breadcrumbs.
16. Arrange on a plate and refrigerate until ready to use.
17. Grill the bacon rashers under a broiler until brown and crisp.
18. To fry the sweetbreads, in a large frying pan, melt the butter.
19. When butter begins to froth, place the sweetbreads in a single layer.
20. Brown them for 2-3 minutes per side.
21. Serve the sweetbreads immediately along with bacon rashers on the side.