- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Fresh Pea Salad With Pancetta Recipe
|Fresh peas/Frozen baby peas - 2 packages (10 ounces each)||4 Pound, shelled for 4 cups|
|Pancetta||1⁄4 Pound, sliced 1/4 inch thick|
|Shallots||2 Large, minced|
|Red wine vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
Calories 292 Calories from Fat 96
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.9%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g28.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.6 mg
Sodium 734.1 mg30.6%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.5%
Dietary Fiber 11.6 g46.3%
Sugars 13 g
Protein 15 g29.6%
Vitamin A 40.6% Vitamin C 155.1%
Calcium 7% Iron 19.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a heavy medium saucepan, pour in 6 cups of water and add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt.
2) Place over heat and bring the water to a boil.
3) Place the peas in boiling water and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes for fresh or 1 minute for frozen.
4) Drain the peas and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain for the second time. In a bowl, transfer the peas.
5) Place the pancetta slices in a stack to cut in thirds. Then slice crosswise 1/4 inch wide to make small strips.
6) In the same saucepan, place the pancetta and cover with cold water.
7) Place over heat and bring to a boil.
8) Immediately remove from heat and drain well.
9) Return the pancetta to the saucepan to cook over moderate heat until some of the fat has been rendered, about 5 minutes.
10) Add shallots and sautÃ© the mixture, until the shallots are translucent and the pancetta turns to brown.
11) Discard the fat and add the pancetta and shallots to the peas. Toss well.
12) In the same saucepan, pour in vinegar to cook over moderate heat for 30 seconds, scraping the bottom of the pan to release the flavorful bits.
13) In a small bowl, transfer the vinegar.
14) Add cream, lemon juice, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to the vinegar and whisk well.
15) Drizzle in the dressing over the peas and pancetta to toss well. Serve at room temperature.