- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
French Style Onion Soup Recipe
|Corn oil||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Spanish onion||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Chicken stock||500 Milliliter (2 Cup)|
|Blackstrap molasses||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat bread slices||2 (Thin Slices)|
Calories 245 Calories from Fat 92
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g16%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g13.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 11.8 mg
Sodium 693.8 mg28.9%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g9%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.5%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 12 g23.1%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C 14.6%
Calcium 18.2% Iron 9.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Grate the cheese and chop onions.
2) In a skillet, place oil and saute onions.
3) Add 1 tablespoon of water to prevent sticking of onion at the pan bottom.
4) When onion are transclucent and tender, add stock, garlic, tamari, molasses and bay leaf.
5) Simmer for 30-45 minutes and remove bay leaf.
6) In two ovenproof dishes, place the mixture and top each dish with thin slice of wheat bread and some grated cheese.
7) Broil until cheese begins to melt.
8) Serve the hot onion soup as an appetizer.