- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
French Pastry Pie Crust Recipe
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Unbleached)|
|Butter cube||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened|
|Lemon peel||1 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1312 Calories from Fat 848
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 96 g148.4%
Saturated Fat 59.4 g297.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 427 mg
Sodium 506.9 mg21.1%
Total Carbohydrates 97 g32.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.6%
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 16 g32.6%
Vitamin A 60.6% Vitamin C 10.7%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 34.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Use a medium size work bowl.
2. Sift flour, measure and sift again together with salt.
3. Make a well in the flour and add the softened butter cut into small cubes.
4. Using your finger tips, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles biscuit crumbs or sand.
5. Add the egg yolk and lemon peel into the crumbed mixture and using a fork mix lightly, bringing together, to resemble cookie dough.
6. If the dough is too dry, add a few drops or cold water to moisten.
7. Do not knead the dough.
8. Transfer to dough to a 9-in pie dish.
9. Press the dough into the pan and flute the edges. Do not roll the dough into a sheet.
10. Chill the pastry in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before baking.
11. Pre-heat the oven to 350° F.
12. When oven is ready, remove the pastry from the refrigerator.
13. Blind bake by filling topping pastry with beans or place another pie dish over the crust
14. Bake in the prepared oven for 30 minutes or until light brown.
15. Remove from oven and cool sufficiently before filling the pastry with filling such berry compote, peaches or apples topped with custard or whipped cream.
16. Do not store pastry for later use.