- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Classic Onion Soup in Beef Stock Recipe
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Spanish onions||1 Pound, thickly sliced (500 Grams)|
|Plain flour||1 Ounce (25 Grams)|
|Beef stock||2 Pint (1.2 Liters)|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|French bread slices||6|
|Gruyere cheese||3 Ounce, grated (75 Grams)|
Calories 317 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.5%
Saturated Fat 7.8 g39.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.9 mg
Sodium 694.6 mg28.9%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.5%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 13 g26.6%
Vitamin A 7.4% Vitamin C 9.5%
Calcium 19.4% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan melt butter and cook onions over moderate heat with constant stirring such that the onion is soft and pale gold.
2. Stir for 1 minute sprinkling little flour, add the stock gradually and bring it to a boil stirring constantly.
3. Season as per taste, lower the heat, let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes and optionally add cognac.
4. On a grill, grill the bread lightly, sprinkle grated gruyere over it and keep aside.
5. Add the soup into heat proof bowls with a slice of cheese-topped bread on top of the soup in each bowl.
6. Place the bowls under hot grill such that the cheese starts bubbling and serve hot.