- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Famous French Onion Soup Recipe Video
|For the soup|
|Beef stock||750 Milliliter|
|Chicken stock||750 Milliliter|
|Red wine/White wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaves||2 Large|
|French bread||1 Large|
|Gruyere cheese||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
Calories 515 Calories from Fat 249
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.4%
Saturated Fat 14.9 g74.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 63.5 mg
Sodium 793.7 mg33.1%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.3%
Sugars 13 g
Protein 14 g27.6%
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 27%
Calcium 12.3% Iron 11.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a saucepan, heat butter and add onions. Turn down the heat and simmer unitl it becomes dark brown.
2. Add flour, wine, beef stock, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.
3. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. For making the croutons - slice bread and rub garlic all over them.
5. Sprinkle olive oil and pop it into the oven for 10 minutes.
6. In a bowl, pour soup and top it with croutons and gruyere cheese.
7. Place the bowl in the oven until the cheese melts.
8. Top with a crouton piece and serve it hot.