- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
French Onion Soup With Swiss Cheese Recipe
|Thinly sliced onions||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Rich beef stock/Brown beef broth||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Vermouth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry french bread slices||5 (Thick Slices)|
|Swiss cheese||3 Ounce, grated|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 319 Calories from Fat 148
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.6%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g26.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.1 mg
Sodium 774.2 mg32.3%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.8%
Sugars 5.8 g
Protein 15 g30.5%
Vitamin A 3.4% Vitamin C 8.3%
Calcium 27.4% Iron 8.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a non-stick pan, heat the oil and place onions.
2) Put the lid on and simmer for about 10 minutes.
3) Remove the lid, raise the heat and allow to cook to 10 minutes or until the onions are browned, stirring occasionally.
4) Transfer the onions in slow cooker and add beef stock.
5) Put the lid on and simmer for 4 to 6 hours.
6) Stir in the vermouth.
7) Divide the soup in 5 bowls, place slice of bread in each bowl.
8) Dredge Parmesan and Swiss cheese on the top.
9) Put the bowls under the broiler and heat until the cheese melts.
10) Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley.