- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
French Market Doughnuts Recipe
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Corn oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Evaporated milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast/1 cake compressed yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Flour||4 Cup (64 tbs), sifted|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Corn oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
Calories 1817 Calories from Fat 1134
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 128 g197.4%
Saturated Fat 12.3 g61.3%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 115 mg
Sodium 317 mg13.2%
Total Carbohydrates 150 g50.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.7%
Sugars 53.7 g
Protein 20 g39.3%
Vitamin A 3.9% Vitamin C 1%
Calcium 11.9% Iron 38.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Warm oil in a flat bottomed pan (375°F), 1/3 filled with corn oil; 5 minutes prior to frying.
2) Take a large mixing bowl and combine, sugar, salt, evaporated milk, corn oil and warm water, in it.
3) In a separate clean bowl take 1/4 cup water (use lukewarm water for compressed yeast and warm (not hot) for dry yeast) and stir in the yeast till dissolved completely.
4) To this add the corn oil mixture and stir well.
5) Whisk in eggs and flour altenatively, beating vigorously after each addition.
6) Empty the bowl contents onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently to form a soft - elastic dough ball. Use additional flour, required.
7) Take a slightly greased bowl and place dough in it. Sweep some corn oil on the top and cover the bowl with a slightly damp clean cloth.
8) Place the bowl in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
9) Now, divide the dough into two parts and keep one part covered inside the bowl.
10) Place the second half of the dough on a lightly floured board and roll it out in a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
11) Now, use a cutter and cut small triangles or rectangles about 1/2 inch thick.
12) Using the fingers elongate the small rectangles or triangles until they thin down and become double in size.
13) Fry doughnuts in hot oil, until golden brown on all sides. Turn ocassionally to brown evenly on all sides.
14) Place on paper towels and drain.
15) Sprinkle confectioners' sugar and serve warm.