- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
French Halles Onion Soup Recipe
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Tepid water/Consomme||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Coarse salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Bread slice||6 , toasted|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1842 Calories from Fat 622
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 71 g108.5%
Saturated Fat 41.2 g206.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 174.2 mg
Sodium 2786 mg116.1%
Total Carbohydrates 268 g89.2%
Dietary Fiber 31.4 g125.7%
Sugars 91.3 g
Protein 49 g97.1%
Vitamin A 39.8% Vitamin C 192.4%
Calcium 100.5% Iron 51.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Peel the onions and cut in two. Make super thin and even slices out of the onion halves.
2) Use a large heavy skillet, cast-iron if possible to heat up butter.
3) Add onions and sauté to golden brown by stirring with a wooden spoon.
4) Sprinkle flour over the onions and keep on stirring until the flour turns light golden.
5) Pour in water or consommé and season with salt.
6) Bring the liquid to a boil by frequent stirring.
7) Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
8) Add scalded milk to the soup and adjust seasoning.
9) Meanwhile, toast the bread.
10) Lay one slice of toasted bread in each plate. Sprinkle freshly ground pepper on top and pour the soup over the bread.
11) Serve warm with a bowl of grated cheese in side.