- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Crunchy French Fried Onion Rings Recipe
|Spanish onion||1 Large, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick|
|Lard/Shortening / cooking oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Sifted flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
Calories 445 Calories from Fat 212
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.2%
Saturated Fat 9.6 g47.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 27 mg
Sodium 813.3 mg33.9%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.1%
Sugars 10.7 g
Protein 8 g16.9%
Vitamin A 1.6% Vitamin C 19.2%
Calcium 17.4% Iron 13.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Separate onion slices into rings.
2. Place onion rings on a paper towel and pat to dry well.
3. In a deep fat fryer or a wok, heat fat.
4. In the mean while, in a mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Gradually whisk in milk to make a smooth batter.
6. Check the fat temperature by using a thermometer, or drop an onion ring into it. The temperature should be about 375° F or the onion should surface within 2 seconds.
7. Dip onion rings, a few at a time, into batter, dripping off the excess.
8. Carefully drop batter dipped onions into the fat and fry for 1-2 minutes, flipping them with the slotted spoon, until evenly golden brown.
9. Remove and drain on a paper toweling lined baking tray.
10. Place the fried onion rings in a warm oven set at 250° F to keep warm.
11. Fry the remaining onions.
12. Serve the onion rings immediately hot and crispy with a sauce as an appetizer or as a side dish to steaks, burgers or grills.