- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
French Canadian Yellow Split Pea Soup Recipe Video
|Split peas||3 Cup (48 tbs), soaked (yellow)|
|Chicken stock||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Carrot||3 , chop|
|Onion||2 , dice|
|Celery||3 , chop (ribs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), mince|
Calories 1704 Calories from Fat 273
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.8%
Saturated Fat 9.8 g49.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 85.2 mg
Sodium 2434.7 mg101.4%
Total Carbohydrates 295 g98.5%
Dietary Fiber 101.2 g404.7%
Sugars 72.5 g
Protein 139 g277.1%
Vitamin A 327.5% Vitamin C 75.6%
Calcium 19.6% Iron 92.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Place a heavy stock pot on medium high temperature for about a minute. Add bacon, and sauté until brown but not too crispy.
2. Reduce the temperature and insert onion and celery. Mix and cook until soften.
3. Then , add ham bone, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, sugar, yellow split peas, chicken stock, and carrots. Bring it to boil.
4. Then, reduce the heat and allow it to simmer, stirring occasionally for about 2 hours.
5. In the last few minutes of simmering, take the ham bone out, cut off the meat and put it right back into the pot.
6. Add vinegar and stir well.
7. Serve soup hot with dinner loaf.
You can add a little more stock or water, if you find your soup dry.