- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Former Lt. Governor Bob Bullock's Beans Part - 5 Recipe Video
|White onions||2 Medium, diced|
|Brown sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Strip of bacon||1 Small|
Calories 221 Calories from Fat 31
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g5.5%
Saturated Fat 0.62 g3.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.49 mg
Sodium 29.5 mg1.2%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.2%
Dietary Fiber 8.4 g33.5%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 12 g23.9%
Vitamin A 0.02% Vitamin C 9.4%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 19.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Pick the beans to weed out any half beans or adulterants.
2. In a colander, place the beans and rinse them with cold water.
3. Dice the onions.
4. In a deep vessel, place the beans and three times, their volume of water on high heat. When the water begins to boil, cover the vessel and allow cook for 5 minutes, before turning the heat off. Let the covered vessel stand undisturbed for 1 hour.
5. Add the oil to the beans and cover again and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for 2 hours.
6. Add the diced onions, brown sugar and bacon. Bring the beans to a simmer again and allow the sauce to thicken.
7. Add some more brown sugar and molasses if you desire a sweet taste, else just add some minced Jalapenos, to spice the dish up.
8. Serve along with rice or your choice of a main dish.