- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
For The Capon Recipe
|Frozen capon||8 Pound, thawed (1 Whole)|
|Melted butter/Margarine / oil||1 Tablespoon|
|For old fashioned bread stuffing|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Celery||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), diced|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Poultry seasoning||2 Teaspoon|
|Bread cubes||10 Cup (160 tbs) (Day Old / Toasted)|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Hot water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 467 Calories from Fat 295
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.6%
Saturated Fat 11.6 g58.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 138.7 mg46.2%
Sodium 371.5 mg15.5%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.81 g3.2%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 30 g60.7%
Vitamin A 9.3% Vitamin C 5.8%
Calcium 5.9% Iron 14.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 325° F before roasting.
2) Free legs and tail from tucked position after removing plastic bag from capon.
3) Take off the giblets from body and neck cavities.
4) Wash inside and outside of capon under cold running water and dry them gently using paper toweling.
5) Season the cavities with salt.
6) To prepare the stuffing, take a large skillet; melt butter in it and sauté celery and onion for 3 to 4 minutes.
7) Add in seasonings, mixing well.
8) To a large bowl, transfer the mixture and mix with rest of the stuffing ingredients.
9) With this stuffing, loosely fill the cavities of capon, using 1 cup stuffing for each pound.
10) Fasten neck skin to back and bring back legs and tail to tucked position. Else use an aluminum foil to cover stuffing and fasten legs and tail together loosely.
11) In a shallow open roasting pan, place the capon, breast-side up and keep on rack.
12) Loosely wrap capon using aluminum foil, pressing the foil to pan edges and then roast for 40 minutes per pound in preheated oven until leg joint moves easily and meat is soft
13) Ensure to remove fastenings and foil and to apply capon skin with butter just 30 to 45 minutes before the end of cooking time.
14) On a platter, arrange the capon, garnished with tomato and cucumber slices and greens.