- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Floating Islands Maman Blanc Recipe
|Full fat milk||2 Pint (1 1/4 Liter)|
|Vanilla pods||2 , split|
|Egg whites||8 Medium (Organic Or Free Range)|
|Castor sugar||10 Ounce|
|Egg yolks||8 Medium (Organic Or Free Range)|
|Castor sugar||3 Ounce (85 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||5 Ounce (140 Gram)|
Calories 529 Calories from Fat 96
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.4%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 262.8 mg
Sodium 137.8 mg5.7%
Total Carbohydrates 95 g31.8%
Dietary Fiber 0.66 g2.6%
Sugars 94.1 g
Protein 13 g25.1%
Vitamin A 9% Vitamin C
Calcium 21.8% Iron 3.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To flavor milk with vanilla, in a saucepan, heat the milk until it reaches scalding point. Scrape vanilla seeds into the milk with the point of a sharp knife and add the split vanilla pods.
2. Whisk to blend and bring milk to a boil.
3. Reduce the flame to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. In a clean dry grease free bowl, whisk the egg whites and sugar with an electric beater until stiff.
5. Using a large spoon, scoop meringue and immerse in simmering milk for 5 minutes to poach, turning carefully to poach other side.
6. Gently lift the poached meringue and place on a baking tray.
7. Do the same for remaining meringue to make 6 poached meringues.
8. Set meringue aside to cool.
9. Strain the milk into a saucepan.
10. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks with caster sugar, then gradually whisk in little of the hot, strained milk.
11. Pour egg mixture into the saucepan.
12. Stir continuously over a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes until the custard thickens to coat the back of the spoon.
13. Strain custard into a large bowl and continue stirring for 2 minutes. If custard scrabbles, pour it immediately into a blender or food processor and blend for 30seconds
14. Leave custard to cool, then chill in refrigerator.
15. For the caramel, in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine 50ml of water and the sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar.
16. Place pan on a medium flame and boil without stirring, until the sugar has formed a syrup.
17. Boil until syrup turns golden-brown.
18. Remove pan from flame and immediately and place in a basin of cold water.
19. Pour chilled custard into a large glass serving bowl or into individual glass bowls.
20. Carefully float the poached meringues on top of custard
21. Drizzle caramel over the poached meringues.
22. Serve chilled.