- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Floating Island Melba Recipe
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Meringue)|
|Milk||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Sugar||6 Tablespoon (For Milk)|
|Rum flavoring/Rum extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Melba sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2307 Calories from Fat 533
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 59 g91.1%
Saturated Fat 26.2 g130.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1359.3 mg
Sodium 801.6 mg33.4%
Total Carbohydrates 385 g128.5%
Dietary Fiber 0 g0.02%
Sugars 376.6 g
Protein 67 g133.7%
Vitamin A 47.9% Vitamin C 3.6%
Calcium 221.1% Iron 122%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Combine milk and the 6 tablespoons sugar in a large skillet; heat very slowly just to scalding.
3. Using a teaspoon, scoop about half of meringue into large petal shapes; float on hot milk. Don't crowd pan; cover; turn off heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
4. Lift meringues from milk with a slotted spatula; place on a paper-towel-lined cookie sheet; chill.
5. Reheat milk to scalding; shape,poach, drain and chill remaining meringue.
6. Beat yolks well in a medium-size, heavy saucepan. Strain milk mixture from the skillet into yolks.
7. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until custard starts to thicken and coat a metal spoon; remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and rum flavoring or extract. Pour into a shallow serving bowl; cover. Chill at least 2 hours.
8. When ready to serve, arrange meringue petals, overlapping, in center of the custard; drizzle with the Melba Sauce.