- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tasty Floating Island Recipe
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||6 Small, separated|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (1 Can)|
|Caramel||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 706 Calories from Fat 140
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.3%
Saturated Fat 5.9 g29.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 258 mg
Sodium 384.9 mg16%
Total Carbohydrates 133 g44.3%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 123.7 g
Protein 14 g29%
Vitamin A 8.5% Vitamin C 0.53%
Calcium 26.9% Iron 6.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Add egg whites and a pinch of salt to an electric beater bowl and whisk them until foamy.
2. Gradually add sugar while beating constantly until the meringue is stiff and stand in soft peaks. The meringue will be thick and glossy and will take about 20 minutes to beat on medium speed.
3. In a large but shallow saucepan, combine the milk, sugar and vanilla bean.
4. Heat the milk over a low flame, stirring until sugar dissolves.
5. With two same sized tablespoons, shape the meringues into quenelles or small egg shapes and drop them into the simmering milk.
6. Poach meringues for 1 to 2 minutes then turn carefully with a fork and simmer another 2 minutes and remove immediately with a slotted spoon on to a dry cheese cloth spread over a strainer. Allow them to drain and cool.
7. In the meantime prepare the custard by straining the milk through a fine sieve into the top bowl of a double boiler.
8. Beat the egg yolks well and add gradually to the warm milk, whisking to blend well.
9. Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens to coat the back of the spoon.
10. Take bowl off heat and cool, stirring frequently to prevent lumping.
11. Chill the custard in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
12. Into each of six dessert bowls, pour the chilled custard.
13. Float the poached meringue quenelles on top.
14. Serve immediately.
If using vanilla extract, add it to the milk after scalding it.