- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Flittin Dumpling Recipe
|Walnuts||4 Ounce, chopped|
|Stoned dates||1⁄2 Pound, chopped|
|Golden syrup||8 Tablespoon|
|Frozen concentrated orange juice||4 Ounce, thawed and mixed with 1/2 pint of water (1 can)|
|Water||1⁄2 Pint, thawed and mixed with 1/2 pint of water|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 784 Calories from Fat 188
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.8%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.5%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 728.3 mg30.3%
Total Carbohydrates 137 g45.8%
Dietary Fiber 9 g35.8%
Sugars 57.9 g
Protein 16 g31.9%
Vitamin A 2.4% Vitamin C 66.1%
Calcium 8% Iron 30.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Into a bowl, sift together the salt and flour.
2) Mix in walnuts and dates. Keep the mixture aside.
3) In a pan, pour the golden syrup. Heat enough to just warm the syrup. Take the pan off the flame.
4) Into the syrup, add in the orange juice and baking soda.
5) Take the bowl of walnuts and dates mixture, and make a little depression in its centre. Pour in the syrup mix into this depression. Slowly beat together to mix all the ingredients.
6) Transfer the mixture into a well-greased 2 pint pudding basin or steaming mould.
7) Cover the mould with a greased foil. Make a pleat in the middle and tie it with a string.
8) Steam for about 2 to 3 hours.
9) When the pudding has risen, let it come back to shape. Let cool outside the mould.
10) If you want to freeze the pudding, do it at this stage. Wrap the Flittin Dumplin in a foil and wrap it in a freezer bag. Seal and label the bag.
11) Place in the refrigerator.
12) Serve the Pudding warm with custard sauce on the side.
13) To serve the frozen pudding, take the freezer bag out and let thaw at room temperature for 3 hours. Transfer it into the same 2 pint mould or basin in its foil wrapping. Steam for 1 hour till the Flittin Dumplin has thawed completely. Serve warm with custard sauce on the side.