- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Flemish Red Cabbage And Apples Recipe
|Red cabbage||1 Small, shredded medium fine|
|Spanish onion||1⁄2 Large, peeled and sliced thin|
|Apples||4 , peeled, cored, sliced thin (Baldwin, Mcintosh Or Jonathan)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry red wine/Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 324 Calories from Fat 59
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.4%
Saturated Fat 4 g19.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.1 mg
Sodium 1048.4 mg43.7%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g20.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g38.1%
Sugars 40.9 g
Protein 5 g9.1%
Vitamin A 61.2% Vitamin C 253.8%
Calcium 14.7% Iron 13.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a stock pot or a large kettle, combine cabbage, onion, apples, sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
2. Tip in the wine and give a stir.
3. Cover the pot and place on a medium low flame.
4. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until cabbage is just tender-crisp.
5. Slide in butter and sprinkle pepper. Add more salt if required.
6. Serve the cabbage hot as an accompaniment to beef steak roasts or grills.