- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sweet and Savory Mac & Cheese Recipe Video
|Pasta||16 Ounce (elbow, ziti, rotini)|
|Carrot||4 Medium, trimmed and cut shortly|
|Thyme||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, freshly chopped|
|Sage||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, freshly chopped|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm) (small)|
|Panko breadcrumb||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Parmigiano reggiano||2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole milk||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Aged cheddar cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Gouda cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
Calories 573 Calories from Fat 249
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.1%
Saturated Fat 14.7 g73.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 75.3 mg25.1%
Sodium 546.2 mg22.8%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.6%
Sugars 8.1 g
Protein 18 g36.4%
Vitamin A 94% Vitamin C 10.2%
Calcium 61.1% Iron 12.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Boil pasta until al dente (one minute less than box instructions).
3. Drain pasta and toss with a tablespoon olive oil – set aside.
4. Make the topping by putting 2 cups of Panko in a medium sized mixing bowl.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
6. Add dash each of salt and pepper.
7. Pour butter mixture over Panko and cheese.
8.Toss to coat Panko and cheese well.
9. Melt 3 tablespoons unsalted butter with minced garlic clove.
10. Steam roughly chopped carrots until softened (approx. 5 minutes) – add to drained pasta.
11. Sauté chopped shallots in a tablespoon of olive oil, over medium low heat until caramelized – set aside.
12. Finely mince 1 ½ tablespoon each of thyme and sage.
13. Melt 4 tablespoons unsalted butter in heavy medium sized saucepan.
14. Whisk 1/4 cup flour into melted butter, continue whisking over medium low heat for 3 minutes while mixture gently bubbles.
15. Slowly add milk, whisking continuously about 5-6 minutes until mixture thickens.
16. Raise heat to medium to bring mixture to a strong simmer, then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
17. Stir occasionally while mixture simmers and thickens for 10 more mins.
18. Remove from heat and whisk in shredded cheeses (5 cups total).
19. Add shallots and fresh herbs, pinch of salt and pepper, plus nutmeg.
20. Pour mixture over pasta and carrots - mix well.
21. Spread Mac & Cheese evenly in a 9”x12” glass baking dish topped with Panko topping.
22. Bake in hot 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes until topping is golden brown.
23. Serve and Enjoy!
For more recipes please visit The Brown Lounge Website