- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Flaky Pastry Recipe
|Butter||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Vegetable fat||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint (1 1/2 Deciliter)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1363 Calories from Fat 1358
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 154 g237%
Saturated Fat 54.7 g273.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 182.9 mg
Sodium 9.4 mg0.4%
Total Carbohydrates 0.48 g0.16%
Dietary Fiber 0.02 g0.08%
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 0.74 g1.5%
Vitamin A 42.5% Vitamin C 3.8%
Calcium 2.1% Iron 0.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Into a large basin, sift the flour and salt together.
2. Blend the vegetable fat and margarine together then divide into 4 equal portions.
3. To the flour add 1 part of fat and using your fingertips or 2 palette knives, rub in or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
4. Use a fork or palette knife to mix quickly and lightly until the mixture is free of lumps and all the fat has been incorporated into the flour.
5. Combine lemon juice and water and add to the flour mixture.
6. Use a fork or palette knife to mix quickly and lightly until the mixture forms a ball.
7. Turn out on to a lightly-floured working surface and knead lightly with your finger tips until smooth.
8. Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap or wax paper.
9. Refrigerate the dough for at least 10 minutes allowing it to rest and chill before using.
10. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle with length thrice as its width.
11. With blunt side of a knife, mark the pastry into 3 equal parts.
12. Cut 1 portion of the fat into small beads.
13. On 2/3 of dough distribute the fat pieces evenly, keeping them 1 inch from the edges of the dough.
14. Fold the third part of dough without the fat over the center portion and then fold the other side on top to get alternate layers of dough and fat.
15. Turn the pastry a quarter, clockwise, so that folded edges are on top and bottom.
16. Seal the edges to prevent the fat from oozing out.
17. Repeat rolling, spreading of fat, folding and turning 2 more times, resting the pastry for 15 minutes in the refrigerator between each rolling, if it gets too soft.
18. Repeat rolling and folding without spreading fat, one last time.
19. Wrap the laminated pastry in a damp and clean kitchen towel and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
20. Use the dough to make crisp flaky pastry for dessert or cake recipes