- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Five Color Rice Balls (오색 주먹밥) Recipe Video
|Short grain rice||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), cooked|
|Seasoned seaweed||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Hard boiled egg yolk||1 Medium|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|For the beef|
|Ground beef||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Bulgogi sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Green onion||1 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Sesame seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Calories 155 Calories from Fat 34
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g5.8%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.4 mg
Sodium 73.5 mg3.1%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.7%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.2%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 4 g7.3%
Vitamin A 9.6% Vitamin C 1.6%
Calcium 0.9% Iron 8.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a bowl, add the ground beef, bulgogi sauce, green onion and sesame seeds. Mix until well combined and set aside to marinate until the other ingredients are prepared.
2. On a chopping board, place the zucchini, carrot and using a sharp knife, first slice them into strips, then finely chop them into small pieces.
3. In a large non stick pan on high, heat 1 teaspoon of oil and stir fry the chopped zucchini with a pinch of salt for about 2 minutes. Once done, transfer into a medium sized bowl and set aside.
4. In the same pan, heat another teaspoon of oil and stir fry the chopped carrot with a pinch of salt for about 2 minutes. Once done, transfer into a medium sized bowl and set aside.
5. Reduce the temperature to medium heat and add the marinated ground beef and stir fry until the beef is completely cooked. Once done, transfer into a medium sized bowl and set aside. Remove about 2 tablespoon of the beef into another bowl for the rice and leave the remaining beef mixture for the filling.
6. In a bowl with a strainer, take the hard boiled egg yolk and rub it hard against the strainer to get yolk powder. Set this aside.
7. In another bowl, add the seasoned laver, crush it well and set aside.
8. Take the cooked short grain rice and mix it well with the sesame oil and salt.
9. Add 1/2 cup each of the cooked rice into the individual bowls of zucchini, carrot, ground beef and crushed laver for the respective green, orange, brown and black colours. Mix until well combined.
10. For the yellow colour, make a ball of rice and roll it into the yolk powder and set aside.
11. To make the colourful balls: Take a cling wrap in one hand and add 1 tablespoon of the rice mixture and add 1/4 teaspoon of the beef mixture and cover this with another tablespoon of the rice mixture. Wrap the cling wrap around the rice mixture and shape into a ball. Once done, open the wrap and remove the ball and place it on a plate. Repeat this step for all the 4 colours.
12. For beef mixture filling, add some yellow pickled radish and repeat the above step to make a brown colour ball.
13. Serve these five colourful rice balls in mini paper cups.