- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Fish Chowder Recipe
|Reduced-calorie margarine||1 1⁄3 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Enriched all purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon (2 Tablespoons Plus 1 1/2 Teaspoons)|
|Fish broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), heated|
|Potatoes||8 Ounce, pared and thinly sliced|
|Thinly sliced carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground white pepper||1 Dash|
|Ground thyme||1 Dash|
|White pepper||1 Dash|
|Cod fish fillets/Use other bland white fish fillets of the same quantity||12 Ounce, cut into 2 inch pieces|
|Evaporated skimmed milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), heated|
Calories 152 Calories from Fat 15
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g2.6%
Saturated Fat 0.33 g1.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.4 mg
Sodium 356.6 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.4%
Dietary Fiber 2 g7.9%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 15 g29.5%
Vitamin A 86.4% Vitamin C 17.6%
Calcium 9% Iron 5.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1)Take a 2-quart saucepan,in it heat margarine, overmoderate heat, until hot and bubbly.
2) Take away pan from heat and fold in flour till dissolved.
3) Return to heat and, with the help of a wire whisk, gradually fold in warm broth.
4) Cook, mixing all the while until mixture is of thick and of smooth consistency.
5) Add remaining ingredients leaving alone fish and milk.
6) Lower heat to a simmer and cook until vegetables are just cooked through but not too mushy for about 15 minutes.
7) Add fish and milk, mixing well to combine.
8) Cover with lid and reduce to a simmer and cook until fish flakes easily at the touch of a fork for about 5 minutes.
9) Serve immediately when hot.