- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
A Ridiculously Delicious Filipino Soup (Chicken Tinola Recipe) Recipe Video
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh ginger||2 Tablespoon, peeled, cut into thin slices & slivered|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), minced finely|
|Chicken whole||1 Medium, cut into pieces|
|Fresh tomato||1 Medium, wedged into 5 pieces|
|Chayote/Green papaya||1 Medium, cut into bite sized pieces (Peeled and seeded)|
|Fresh spinach/Chili leaf||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Red onion||1 Medium, diced|
|Patis||To Taste (Fish sauce)|
Calories 917 Calories from Fat 578
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 64 g98.9%
Saturated Fat 17.3 g86.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 281.2 mg93.7%
Sodium 306.1 mg12.8%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g9.9%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 72 g143.8%
Vitamin A 62.5% Vitamin C 40.7%
Calcium 9.4% Iron 24.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large pot heat up some cooking oil, add the ginger, garlic and onion. Sate for a few minutes.
2. Add the chicken pieces and cook it briefly till the surface turns opaque.
3. Then add the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes cook a little add 2 liters of water and stir. Set the heat down to medium, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes till the chicken gets tender.
4. Give the chicken broth a taste and add salt if required only. (Fish sauce gives enough salt to the dish). Add the fish sauce, stir and the chayotes and stir it again.
5. Now add the leaves and cover the lid on and simmer for a couple of minutes till the leaves wilt.
6. Serve warm as a soup or over some steamed rice.
Using a spoon or a ladle, skim out any foam of fat settling on the surface of the chicken broth around the edges.