- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Filbert Slices Recipe
|Butter||8 Tablespoon, softened (Unsalted, 1 Quarter-Pound Stick)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), sifted|
|Eggs||2 , hard cooked|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Whole filbert nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coarse salt||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 497 Calories from Fat 401
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g71.4%
Saturated Fat 17.9 g89.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 223.1 mg74.4%
Sodium 952.9 mg39.7%
Total Carbohydrates 14 g4.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 11 g21.1%
Vitamin A 18.8% Vitamin C 3.4%
Calcium 6.5% Iron 14.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350Â°
2) Mix the butter and sugar together by beating them with a wooden spoon or by using an electric mixer at medium speed until the mixture is light, creamy and fluffy.
3) Beat in the flour, 1/2 cup at a time.
4) Mash the hard-cooked eggs by rubbing them through a sieve with a wooden spoon.
5) Lightly beat the egg and the salt into the mixture, continuing to beat until the mixture becomes slightly stiff dough.
6) Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate it for about 2 hours.
7) To prepare the filberts, blanch them by placing them in the oven for 10 or 15 minutes, or until the brown skin is dark in color.
8) Cool the nuts slightly, then rub them in a towel to remove the brown flaky skin.
9) Crush them in a nut grinder.
10) Add the salt and the allspice to the groundnuts.
11) On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a strip 1/4 inch thick and 6 inches wide.
12) It should then be about 17 inches long.
13) Sprinkle the nut mixture evenly over it.
14) Press the mixture into the surface of the dough by rolling it lightly with a rolling pin.
15) Turn the pastry lengthwise in front of you and roll it into a long, tubular shape like a jellyroll.
16) Wrap the roll in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate it for about 45 minutes.
17) With a pastry brush or paper towel lightly butter two 12 x 15-inch baking sheets.
18) Slice the roll into 3/4-inch slices.
19) Arrange them side by side on the baking sheets, and bake them in the middle of the oven for about 15 minutes or until they are a delicate golden brown.
20) Let them cool on the baking sheets.
21) Serve them an excellent dessert.